Task 1 - Mark Making

Task 1 - Mark Making



Technique Mark Making

Pencil:


For this mark making task I used two different types of pencils, HB and 6B. The top row of the image above is my mark making using the HB pencil and the row below is the 6B mark making,

The HB pencil is used to create much finer lines and lighter shading. This is because the graphite in the pencil is much firmer and requires much more pressure compared to the 6B version. The 6B pencil is used to create darker and thicker lines and for darker shading. This is because the graphite in the pencil is much softer and requires much less pressure than the HB version.

Cross hatching;

The crosshatching technique is in the first square. This is done by creating a tonal effect by drawing closely spaced parallel lines. The HB pencil is effective if you want finer and lighter tone but also it is much harder to make the darker areas to the desired darkness. The 6B pencil is effective if you want a thicker and darker tone. One downside to using this pencil is that you will be required to sharpen this pencil frequently as the graphite is used quicker than the HB one.


Stippling;

Stippling if a technique where you use your pencil to dab dots on and around your page. The more dots you have closer to one another the darker it looks and the opposite for making it look lighter. The HB pencil was in comparison the worst of the two. You have to do many more dots to make it slightly darker. However, with the 6B pencil, you can get darker areas easier and it is less time consuming.


Shading;

The next square shows the technique of shading. This is useful is you want to show a tonal difference in your art piece. With the HB pencil, you can go from darker to light pretty easy however if you want a darker shade you would use the 6B pencil.


Stick and Ink


The image above shows you the next mark making task I attempted. For this task, I used stick and ink to complete the 3 techniques, Cross-Hatching, Stippling and using water then dropping a drop of ink into it.

Cross-Hatching:

Using the stick and ink to attempt the Cross-Hatching technique was very different compared to the pencil mark making task. I found myself going back and forth from the ink pot back to the paper. With practice, this is a very effective technique to use.


Stippling:

Stippling worked rather well with the stick and ink technique. As the ink is beginning to run out on the stick it creates fainter dots which help contrast the dark tones and the lighter ones. Doing this method is time consuming but can be very useful as a technique.


Ink and Water Markings:

For this technique, I placed droplets of water onto my page. From there I dropped a drop or two into the water to created these effects;


Pen:


This is the last of the mark making techniques. For this technique, I used a pen. Once again, I completed 3 different techniques, Cross-Hatching, Stippling and random drawings with a water wash over the top.

Cross-Hatching:

Using a pen to cross-hatch proved to be messier than the previous drawing techniques. The tonal difference using the pen was harder to get the lighter tone. This method isn't the best when using a pen in my opinion. 


Stippling:

Once again, the Stippling technique was rather tedious however, once compete the pen was quite effective at achieving the desired effect. It was easier to get the darker tones and the lighter tones were quite easy too.


Random Lines with a Water Wash:

This technique contained of me drawing random line across a section of my page. After doing this, I got a pot of water to then brush a little bit of water over the top to get a interesting blend. If I was to do this again I would have used less water to achieve a better effect.


Texture Work


This texture was created by using water colour to achieve a grassy/woodland effect so I can be able to do a piece of work you will see below.


The image above shows you the second part of my water colour marks. To create these effects I folded a piece of paper into nine squares. 


Then, the the first three squares, I wet the paper then painted into the water. 


For the following three squares, I wet the paper again then put less paint into the water then let it just blend throughout each square for a faded out effect.


The last three squares, were for blending the three different colour's together throughout the squares.


After I competed the last two images above I moved onto this. I got photocopied versions of my water colour textures then cutting into them to create two different scene/environments.


This is the last method I did using water colour. Using the photocopied versions of my work I created a 3D room. After getting the layout of the room I drew a couple of details into the room to make it have a more room-like appearance.


To create this mark I used Acrylic paint on a paint roller and rolled it across a section of my page. This would be good to use as a method to get a flat surface on a desired scene or painting.


In this picture, I used tissue paper, glue, and acrylic paint to get this effect. I put glue on the back of the tissue paper and made sure there were some creases. When I attempted to do this technique I used too much acrylic paint and made it hard to see the crease and such. So I attempted it again as seen below.


In this attempt of using tissue paper and acrylic paint, I used much less paint to actually see the effect given by doing this.


To make this effect I used a glue spreader as well as two acrylic paint colour's, red and yellow. When they meet in the middle they create the colour orange. With the glue spreader, I merged the two colours until I was happy with it.


For this effect, I used red and blue acrylic paint as well as a sponge. I applied a little bit of paint and I started to dot it on my paper. When these colour meets the colour changes into a very dark brown.


I used a large paint brush as well as red and yellow acrylic paint. I dotted the paint on my page and merged the two colours which combined, creates orange.


This method is created using bubble wrap and blue acrylic paint. I painted over one side of the bubble wrap and then pressed it onto the paper which creates a 'bubble' like effect.


To achieve this method I used a slab of cardboard then peeled of one of the side then painted over it. Once doing this I place the cardboard onto my paper then applied a bit of pressure to transfer the paint onto the paper. 


The image above shows he technique of blending two oil pastels together to create a new colour. I used blue and yellow which I blended to create green.


Once again, to create the texture above I used two different oil pastels, one yellow the other red. I used the lighter colour (yellow) as the base colour. the I used the darker colour (red) and coloured over the base. After doing this I used a pair of scissors then scratched on the the top colour.  


I did the same on this one as the one above however, I used green and yellow instead.


For this method, I used the oil pastels as a water resistant surface then I used some water colour and painted over the top of this surface. I did one version where I did drew lines using the oil pastel and another version where I just did dots around the page.


For the next texture I used chalk. I used red and yellow chalk and I blended the two to create orange.


This texture is the same as the one above however, I used some water to make it have an apprentice like water colour.